Kybella Treatment Information
What is Kybella?
KYBELLA™ is deoxycholic acid, a chemical produced naturally by the body, administered by injection for improvement of moderate to severe fullness associated with submental fat under the chin in adults, also called “double chin.”
What is the treatment like?
Kybella is delivered to the area of fat under the chin through a series of specifically placed tiny injections with a fine sterile needle. Once you have been assessed as a good candidate for Kybella, you will return to Chelsea Skin & Laser for treatment. Consultation and treatment happen on 2 different days. On the day of your treatment the area will be cleaned and a pattern of injection dots will be applied under the chin. The area may be iced before and after and a numbing agent may be added to the product to aid in your comfort. No anesthesia is needed but we will often administer a local anesthetic injection to the area to minimize discomfort. Please let your practitioner know if you are allergic to anesthetic.
How many treatments will I need?
At Chelsea Skin & Laser, Kybella is a customized treatment. Depending on the amount of fullness present and results desired, the average patient will require 2-4 treatments to see significant results. Few patients notice any result after 1 treatment.
How long will the treatment last?
The effects of Kybella have shown to be permanent. Excessive weight gain post treatment may result in some reduction of the result.
How will it feel and how will I look after the treatment?
- The area may feel sore, “jiggly,” full or heavy from the product and swelling from your body’s reaction to the product. The area may appear larger than before the treatment. This is typical. Once the product is absorbed into the system, the area will look more like it did prior to the treatment.
- Makeup can be applied immediately after to cover minor bruising or redness.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity/exercise 24 hours post treatment.
- Application of ice intermittently for a short period of time after the treatment may help reduce swelling. The taking of the herbal supplement arnica may help reduce bruising.
- Ibuprofen taken 1 hour prior to treatment has shown to reduce treatment discomfort.
- Tylenol may be taken post treatment to help reduce discomfort.
Are there side effects?
Possible redness, swelling, bruising, numbness, areas of hardness, tingling, nodules, itching, skin tightness, headache. Side effects typically resolve themselves in 1-4 weeks without treatment. Other less common side effects include nerve injury resulting in uneven smile or facial muscle weakness, temporary trouble swallowing, superficial skin ulceration/erosions, loss of skin pigment in treatment area. Cases usually resolve without treatment in an average of 6 weeks. Visible asymmetry in the treatment area may occur.
When do I have follow up treatments?
Kybella treatments are scheduled at Chelsea Skin & Laser no less than 6 weeks apart.
What should I discuss with my doctor prior to considering enhancement?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you have had or plan to have surgery or cosmetic treatments on the lower face, neck, or chin.
If you have or have had recent medical conditions including any type of infection in or near the neck area.
If you have have trouble swallowing.
If you have or have had bleeding problems or are taking blood thinners.
For more information visit: