What to do before your appointment:
- Arrive a few minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time
- No tanning four weeks prior, no self tanner two weeks prior
- Remove all make-up and cosmetics
- If you are very pain sensitive, you may request a prescription pain killer prior to the date of
What to expect during and immediately after:
- The IPL laser feels like a hot rubber band snapping against the skin.
- You may experience a temporary bruise or purple color to the skin.
- Minor redness and swelling at the treatment sites are normal.
- A mild sunburn-like sensation lasting an average of 1- 4 days.
- In some cases a blister or crust may form in the area.
- A temporary lightening or darkening of the treated skin may occur.
- If you are on daily aspirin, iron supplementation, anticoagulants, or herbal supplements
(ginko, garlic, ginseng) you may bruise more easily.
- Healing on the face usually takes two weeks.
- Healing of large vessels on the legs may take up to six weeks.
What you should do after treatment:
- The treated skin should be handled gently for 7 days. Cleanse with a mild soap or water
daily. Gently pat dry. We are happy to provide product recommendations.
- Moisturize with a gentle moisturizer twice per day.
- Do not use exfoliators, scrubs, retinols, Retin-A, acid-based products (alpha hydroxy acids,
glycolic acids, salicylic acids, and lactic acids) in treated areas for two weeks
- If you have significant discomfort and redness in the area you may use cool compresses
intermittently. You may take Tylenol for pain.
- If a scab or crust forms, do not pick it. Apply a topical over-the-counter antibiotic ointment
(Bacitracin, Polysporin ointment) or Aquaphor ointment twice per day.
- Avoid direct sunlight to the treated area for four weeks.
- Apply sunscreen of at least SPF 30 regularly if you will be out in sun.
- Arrange a follow appointment to check healing at four weeks.
What you should avoid for four days after therapy:
- High impact exercise, yoga or weight lifting
- Prolonged standing or sitting
- Alcoholic beverages
- Very hot showers
- Steam rooms, saunas, baths
- After leg vein treatment, keep legs elevated as frequently as possible.
Any further questions don’t hesitate to call: